Finger pressed firmly against the throbbing (doubtless cholesterol-clogged) artery of Collective Humanity, the Intellectual Hooligan brings you the first of a new series (and, boy, I'm good at this series lark. Perseverance is the key, dear reader). The theme: trend reports.
What's hot? What's not?
Questions of this nature, I have virtually no doubt, relentlessly batter themselves against your mind, like, um, moths upon the roof of a big, bright Center Parcs dome, or something.
Fear not, metaphorical-moth-tormented ones! Let the Hooligan be your Mentor Of Hip.
(Not in an anatomical way. You perverted, desperate individual.)
On The Way Up In 2009
- Telling stories - Stories are good.
- Nouveau Grunge - Loose, baggy look; loose, baggy, angry music.
- Home Movies That Are Actually Like Movies, As Opposed To Slideshows At The Local Over-50s Camera Club - Not crappy, sentimental camcorderfests, but DIY movies. In the same way as bands do DIY mp3s.
- Couples Nights - Quality entertainment, predator-free. Good value. Efficient.
- Detox - Boring, but omnipresent.
- Anton du Beke - Apparently. Don't sodding well ask me why.
On The Way Down In 2009
- Artfully Disheveled Look - It will cease to be cool for teenage/early-20s girls to dress as though they've just been doing dressage.
- Gordon Brown - He may currently be treading water boldly, spluttering in great gasps of oxygen; but soon we'll just be seeing the bubbles.
- Microsoft - Reason 1: 'I'm a PC?' Okay. Good. Remind me: what does PC stand for? Reason 2: See video below. This is so chronic that I cannot begin to mitigate its hideousness with mere words.
The guy who's supposed to be in a band (if you made it that far, you obviously have time on your hands): what kind of a freakin' band is he in? I mean, Jesus. Not a nouveau-grunge one, at any rate.